Thursday, December 6, 2012

The Day You Were Born...

Looking back, I didn't really post much about our hospital stay when you were born.  My memory is getting pretty bad, so I better write this down while I can still remember!

We arrived at the hospital between 10 & 11 am on December 6, 2012.  We were scheduled for a c-section at 1:30 pm and they needed us early to get me prepped for surgery.  The prepping seemed like it took forever.  They got you and I hooked up to the monitors so they could monitor your heartbeat.  Your daddy did a video of your heartbeat monitor so we could always have the sound of your heartbeat while you were still in my belly.  You were movin and groovin the whole time I was being prepped.  The nurses came in and out with different tools and things.  They needed to do an IV for me, ouch!  I was a bleeder and it took forever to get it in.  I also had to drink some nasty salt water mixture that smelled like grape but was the worst tasting thing you will ever have!  They gave your daddy some scrubs to wear in the operating room.  Your grandparents started to show up around noon I think.  They didn't get a chance to come back and see us, but your daddy went out to greet them and to let them know what all was going on.  They ended up taking us back to the operating room a little before 1:00.  I had to walk down the hall in my hospital gown to the delivery room.  Your daddy had to wait in the recovery area for a few minutes while they finished prepping everything inside the operating room.



  

Once in the operating room, I saw the table, instruments and bright lights.  I had never been in one before so it was all new to me.  They had me sit down at the edge of the table so that they could administer the epidural into my back.  My nurse stood in front of me to help lean me forward while the other did the epidural.  That hurt.  It was fast acting though!  Before they could get me to lay down on the table I was already starting to get numb.  Once I was on the table your daddy got to come in and sit up next to my head.  They started putting up the sheet in front of my face.  I started to get a little nervous/anxious and then my stomach started to feel a little weird.  Next thing I know, I threw up.  Felt much better after that!  

I never knew when they actually started the c-section.  I felt a lot of pressure, tugging and pushing at my belly.  A few minutes later you were out!  They put down the sheet so that we could see you and give you a big kiss!  After that, they took you to the scale to get you weighed and measured.  They let your daddy go with you so that he could get pictures.  I heard you cry a little, but not much.  A few minutes later your daddy brought you over to me so that I could see your sweet little face and give you a kiss and talk to you.  We were filled with so much joy in that moment.  It is a moment that, as a parent, you will never forget.  It was exciting to finally meet you and hold you.  I didn't get to hold you until we were in recovery, but your daddy snuggled with you and we just stared at you.  Meanwhile, Dr. Cope was stitching me up so that I could be moved to recovery.  The whole process from start to finish was only about 30-40 minutes.


You still have that little pucker lip.

  

Once in recovery, I had to lay flat for a bit and they had to push on my belly to get things back to where they should be.  That was super painful, but the medicine helped.  Your daddy took your first photo to send to the grandparents who were patiently waiting outside.  They were so excited they just couldn't stand it!  Once I was able to hold you they let me start to feed you.  That seemed to go pretty well I think.  That part of the day is still a little fuzzy.  I do remember that once we were both settled in, I told your daddy to go get something to eat (he had not had anything all day) and talk to your grandparents about how you were.  About an hour and a half later I was able to head to my room.  Finally!








Your daddy was still in the waiting room with your grandparents when they wheeled me out.  I could see them all down the hall and your daddy said, "here they come."  They all turned and had BIG smiles on their faces.  They nurse was kind and she stopped so that they could all see you and give you kisses and take bunches of pictures.  A few minutes later we started toward the room again.  If I remember right, everyone waited in the waiting room a little longer so that they could get me settled in.  Once I was ready, we gave the OK for everyone to come in.  Each one of your grandparents held you and loved on you.  They were so excited to meet you!  




I am trying to remember the events that took place after that.  :)  So much happened that day it is hard to remember the order of everything.  

Shortly after we were settled in, Dr. Cope came in to check on me.  I was feeling good and the epidural was starting to wear off a bit.  The nurses had brought me water and juice so it was nice to get something in my stomach.  

About 2 hours went by and it was time for you to eat again.  So everyone stepped out while you ate.  More family and friends started to arrive to meet you.  Lauren, Kent, Gina & Brad all stopped by for a visit.  They all held you and took pictures with you.          









Not too long after that visiting hours were over and it was time for your first bath.  They wheeled in the big bassinet that would keep you warm while they gave you a bath.  You weren't too thrilled with being naked and cold, but you did good.  They finished up and gave you back to us.



The rest of the evening was pretty quiet I think.  The nurses came and got you around midnight I think for a check up.  And while they had you, my nurse wanted to get me up and moving.  That was a little painful, but it was sure nice to get out of that bed.  We slept on and off all night.  You would wake up about every 2 hours to eat, and if you didn't wake yourself up, we were supposed to wake you.  You and I had skin to skin time and your daddy and I just couldn't put you down.  


No comments:

Post a Comment