Monday, December 18, 2017

MOHS Surgery

In December I had to have MOHS surgery on a basal cell carcinoma.  It was right on my forehead just above my eyebrow.  I was at the Dr.'s office for 8 hours.  What a long and painful day.  When you have to have this type of surgery, you are awake the whole time.  They mark the spot on your head and numb you up.  After you are numb, they cut a small section of the cancer out.  They bandage you up and send you off to the waiting room.  They take their sample they just cut and dye it in sections and look at it under a microscope.  This takes up to two hours.  If the doctor finds that there is still cancer in areas of the sample they will call you back, numb you up again and cut some more.  They repeat this process until the cancer is gone.  I had to do this process 4 times.  And I pray I never have to do it again, but usually where there is one there are bound to be more.  The scar is slowly fading and the scar tissue is slowly flattening out.   

Below are photos of my process.  Don't look further if you don't like seeing stitches and all things icky.  :)

Before Surgery

During Surgery

Waiting to be stitched up

Day 2, getting ready to remove bandages

Stitches and a pretty black eye

Got the stitches out four days later, yay!

Christmas Eve

New Years Weekend

7 Week Follow Up

    
13 Week Follow Up

No comments:

Post a Comment