We recently purchased a 1993 Pop Up Camper from Justin's cousin. We got it cleaned up and updated a little and took it out on it's first trip over the weekend. What a blast we had! I had never been camping before. Our family always stayed in cabins so this was a fun adventure. Justin headed up to Lake Murray Friday afternoon to get a spot and get set up. Izzy and I headed up that evening after work with my parents. It rained the whole way up and it was a very slow drive. The storm was awful but it finally let up once we got to the campsite. My parents dropped Izzy and I off at the camper and they headed to the lodge where they would be staying.
The next morning was beautiful! Justin found a great spot right on the water. We had our own little sandy spot right next to the camper for Izzy to play and then it was just a short walk to the water. We made breakfast and played for a bit then headed out to the Marina so Justin and my mom could get a fishing license. We fed their pet fish (huge fish by the way) and pet the ducks. We played on the playground for a little while and waited for Lauren and her family to arrive. Once they got there, we made burgers and hot dogs for lunch and then everyone headed to the pier to fish. After a bit, I brought Izzy back for a quick nap (no one likes a grumpy girl). She and I slept for a little while and then headed back to the playground. Later everyone got back and we started our fajita dinner. We finished up just before the rain started again. It was a quick storm and we all hung out in the camper for a bit. After it passed everyone else went back to the lodge and Izzy and I roasted marshmallows.
Pretty soon another small storm came in. It got a little breezy and rained, but we never expected what was coming! We went to bed and then woke up a little later to a horrible storm! I had never been so scared of a storm then the one that night! The wind was strong and it shook the whole camper. I thought for sure it was going to take off! The canopy that I borrowed from my boss was swept away and ended up at the other end of the road. Our camp kitchen was flipped and bent a little. We counted down the minutes for it to come to an end. It was 45 minutes of crazy. Izzy slept through the whole thing (thank goodness). Once it passed you could hear the waves hitting the shore, the calm breeze and the owls. It was the strangest thing. The next morning we did some clean up and headed to the lodge for breakfast with the family. After breakfast, we packed up and headed home.
Overall, it was a great trip! I can't wait to do it again. I see many summer camping trips in our future. I know Izzy had a great time too.
No comments:
Post a Comment